Defending Against Larceny And Shoplifting Charges In Harrisonburg
Theft crimes can vary drastically in the punishments they carry, depending on the value of the property stolen and how the theft was completed. To ensure that your rights are protected and the prosecution is held to its high standard of proof, it is important to have an experienced attorney by your side.
At The Law Office of Louis K. Nagy, PLC, a Harrisonburg criminal defense law firm, our attorneys are committed to providing diligent, aggressive representation to individuals accused of a wide variety of theft crimes, including:
- Petty larceny: Taking unlawful possession of an item worth less than $200.
- Grand larceny: Taking unlawful possession of an item worth more than $200.
- Shoplifting: A form of petty larceny and grand larceny committed by concealing or unlawfully taking possession of merchandise in any store, or otherwise defrauding the establishment.
- Robbery: Unlawfully taking possession of an item directly from another person by means of violence, putting a person in fear of harm or threat using a weapon.
- Burglary: Breaking and entering the home of another at night with the intent to commit a felony or larceny.
Many people are surprised to learn that a conviction for grand larceny in Virginia — even of an item worth just over $200 — carries the potential for up to 20 years in prison. Other theft crimes, such as robbery and burglary, also carry more severe penalties while tarnishing your record.
Our lawyers are committed to fighting for clients while providing the personal, attentive service that they deserve. We take the time to explain all of the options to all of our clients and craft strategic plans that help them secure resolutions that serve their best interests.
Contact The Law Office of Louis K. Nagy, PLC
Call 540-315-8450 or complete our online contact form to schedule a free initial consultation. We represent clients in cases involving stores and private property in Rockingham, Augusta and Shenandoah Counties.